Turn Happy Hour into Healthy Hour!The Copperhed Team
It’s 5:00 somewhere! Happy hour is a time to relax, regenerate, and some prefer to commiserate with their coworkers. It can be a time to try some exciting libations. Cocktails can be works of art and should be fun and provide a social connection. In the 1940s, the Moscow Mule made its debut. Using a copper mug or copper gimlet can not only give an old fashion flair with a touch of Hollywood glamour, but you get the health benefits of copper. Copper ions positively charge your beverage. Copper is an essential mineral for many metabolic functions including stimulating pigment production of the hair and promoting healthy hair growth. Plus, copper keeps your drink colder without the ice melting. Copper is an excellent conductor of heat and electricity so your hot drinks stay hotter and your cold drinks stay colder.
Many experts maintain vodka slowly oxidizes the walls of a copper mug which helps release the aroma and enhance the flavor. Magically, the chilled copper can also increase the unexpected potent fizziness of the carbonation in ginger beer. The lime juice used in the Moscow mule recipe also interacts with the copper, reducing the acidity and increasing the tanginess.
What makes a good cocktail? Here’s a list of items you need to make a well-crafted cocktail! Plus, a delicious recipe to keep you the center of attention at any cocktail party.
- 100% Copper Mule Mug or Gimlet.
Some Copper drinkware is only for the outer appearance and lined with nickel or stainless steel which you will not get the health benefits of copper.
- Quality Liquor such as Vodka, Gin, Tequila, Rum or Rye.
No time to be cheap. But the most expensive is not necessary either.
- Ice, Ice Baby!
It’s crucial for any cocktail! And the type of ice you use when shaking or serving can affect the outcome of the drink, drastically. If you want to keep your drink cold but you don’t want it diluted, use ice cubes (fresh and large, around 2” in diameter). Larger cubes will slow down the melting process. Crushed ice is good for drinks with high alcohol content as it will melt quicker. It chills cocktails quickly due to more surface area.
- Sweetness creates a balance of flavors in a drink. It can soften the acidity of citrus and calm the burn of high proof spirits. Muddling sugar cubes with hand-selected and fresh ingredients takes the cocktail up a notch. The granules of the sugar also help break down the other components of the drink and release the flavors. In drinks that don’t require muddling, simple syrup can be used.
- Muddling! Mudding and more muddling, please.
It’s the process of crushing ingredients in the shaker and infusing the essence into the drink. It’s a beautiful bouquet of flavor. The combination of seasonal fruit and fresh herbs makes a party in your mouth. Forget a cosmo; a muddled drink drips sophistication.
- Shake it up!
Achieve the quickest chill and dilute your cocktail to a drinkable level by giving it a shake. Plus, shaking gives your drink texture and body by creating little bits of ice. A good 30-45 seconds will do!
- Top it off with good friends to enjoy every last sip!
If you rather get your daily dose of copper for $1.00 a day through a dietary supplement,
try Copperhed Copper Infusion Hair, Lash, Brow and Skin Formula.
Here’s a fragrant winter version of the classic Moscow Mule:
Spiced Apple Moscow Mule.
(Flavored Simple Syrup)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 oz vodka
1 oz flavored simple syrup
2 oz premium apple cider
4-6 oz ginger beer
Apple slice (for garnish)
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add cinnamon sticks and cloves. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 10 minutes until mixture has begun to thicken a bit.
- Turn off heat, cover, and allow syrup to cool completely for 30 to 60 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks and cloves from syrup; discard. Refrigerate syrup in an airtight container (can be stored for up to 1 month). Makes 3/4 to 1 cup syrup.
- Pour 2 oz of your favorite vodka on big ice cubes.
- Follow with 2 oz of premium apple cider.
- Add 1 oz of the flavored simple syrup.
- Add 4-6 oz of ginger beer.
- Use a cinnamon stick to stir and garnish with a slice of apple. Cheers!